Looking for a good backpack for the coming holiday? I found that there are a lot of you facing difficulties in choosing the right backpack. Mostly you are unaware of the capacity and features of the backpacks available in the market. So if YOU are planning to buy a new backpacking pack, this guide is for you!
You can get the Best-Fit backpack by following these 3 Simple Steps. Do not forget to get the CHECKLIST at the bottom of the page.
#1 Get Enough Backpack Capacity
You may be wondering:
” Why is it important ? “
Imagine when you have to much thing to carry but your bag is too small fit in all. How do you feel?
There is a variety of pack’s capacity but choosing the correct size to according to the length of your trip is the only concern you should have. Here is a general category for backpack :
1. Daypack : Below 30 litres, ideally for daily use or day trip
- Light and small
- Suitable for College Student / Working Adult / Commuter / Other Daily Usage
- Some are coming with Laptop / Tablet Sleeve
- This range is also good for 1-2 days trip
2. Weekend Pack : 30-50 litres, typical pack for a weekend trip. These packs are suitable for 1 to 4 days trips with proper planning on packing. Packing necessaries only is a must for this category.
- Starter pack for beginner backpackers
- Some are falling flight’s carry on / hand-luggage size
- Require proper packing skill
- Recommended for 1-4 nights trips
Shop 30L-50L Packs
3. Multiday Backpack : 50 litres and above, the most common backpacking pack range. You will need this for trips over 5 days onward. You can also consider these bags for adventures trips (eg: Winter treks) or family trips (eg: travel with your kids).
- Standard backpacking pack
- Suitable for Adventures Trips / Family Trips / Multi-Days Trips
- Recommended for 5 days+ trips
Shop > 50L Packs
Look, here is the next point to look after…
#2 Understand Backpack Features
Have you ever wonder why there is so much different in price between backpacks even it is in the same size? The answer is Features. The modern backpacks are coming with tons of features which sometimes might be very confusing, especially you are NEW. Let’s have a look at it and so you will not paying extra for features and NOT MISSING THE NECESSARY FEATURES.
How many of features you can list out ?
1. Backpack Frame Types
- Internal-Frame: An internal-frame backpack is designed with the purpose to stabilize the load, so you can keep stable.
- External-Frame: An external-frame backpack is suitable for those who want to carry the heavy or irregular load. This design is less balanced to carry but it’s better in carrying more loads. Some kid carrying backpacks are external-frame.
- Frameless: A frameless backpack is the lighter design which allows backpackers to be able to travel fast and casual. Normally daypacks and school bag fall under this category.
2. Backpack Ventilation
Ventilation is one of the most important features to prevent the sweaty-back syndrome. Most backpacks are designed with the mesh backpack to improve the ventilation system.
3. Pack Access
- Top-Access : For backpackers who are organized and well planned in packing as items are accessible from the top to the bottom.
- Front Access : The design where items can be conveniently accessed from the zipped front panel.
4. Removable Daypack / Top Lid
Some backpacks are designed with either a removal daypack or detachable top lids. This is ideal for day trips, summit hikes or walking downtown without carrying your fully-loaded travel pack.
5. Sleeping Bag Compartment
Some backpack is featuring with a Sleeping Bag Compartment near at the bottom. This is extremely useful as you do not need to squeeze items and sleeping bag together. Or else, this space is also a great alternative to hold other necessary gears which need to be accessed easily.
6. Attachment Points
Attachment points on backpack allow you to attach trekking poles, tool loops and so on to the exterior of the pack.
7. Rain Cover
Most of the backpacks are made of water-resistance material. However, water can still get through from the zippers. Thus, it would be great if the backpack is integrating with the rain cover or you can easily get an external rain cover in backpack shops.
A good strap design ensures a comfortable carrying experience throughout the journey.
- Hip Strap / Hip Belt : The Hip Strap/Hip Belt is essential for large and heavy loaded backpacks in providing support and distributing the load evenly on the back.
- Sternum Straps : Connect both shoulder straps to distribute the load evenly to the body.
Having multiple compartments in the backpack is good for organizing items. The ideal number is having 2 – 4 compartments in a backpack, depending on the needs.Shop Backpacks
#3 Get The Right Pack That Fit Your Size
Since you are now understanding the features and capacity of backpacks, its time to get the Best-Fitting pack for your size. You need a backpack just nice fitting you but not others, correct ? So let’s jump in to choose the correct fit.
Though sometimes we provide packs suggestion base on your height and weight , the correct way should be measuring your Torso Length (not your height).
1. How To Measure Torso Height
- Grab a measuring tape.
- Bend your head forward
- Find the highest know on your upper spine (Technically called C7 Vertebra)
- Tilt your head back up and run the tape straight down your spine until you reach down to the point of your back that’s at the same level as your hips (Iliac crest)
- Get the measurement and this is your torso length
And what now?
#4 Additional Tips – Carry On Pack
Backpacking may be sometimes very budget concerning and hence backpackers might be looking for a pack that can be treated as Carry On Hand Luggage. In this case, do remember to check the cabin luggage dimension and weight for your flight company. Or You can also check Osprey Farpoint 40 Carry On Travel Pack and Deuter Transit 40.
|AirAsia||56cm x36 cm x 23cm||7kg||Click Here|
|Malaysia Airline||L + H + W < 158cm||7kg||Click Here|
|Singapore Airline||L + H + W < 115cm||7kg||Click Here|
|Emirates||55 x 38 x 20cm||7kg||Click Here|
|EasyJet||56cm x 25cm x 45cm||N/A||Click Here|
That’s it and I hope this guide can provide beginner backpackers to choose their first backpacking pack. You can also get some additional info from Expert Tips for Finding the Right Size, Fit, and Features
At LAST !
CHECKLIST to choose a backpack ?
Comment below to let us know which one is more IMPORTANT to you?